Sunday, August 14, 2011

This Week in Instant View: 8/14-8/20

The recent announcement that Netflix was raising their rates angered a lot of customers, sparking them to take to the internets and spew hateful bile on a company that just a day before made it possible for them to stream every season of Fraggle Rock on their computer whenever the wanted, day or night. Yes, Netflix turned their "unlimited streaming" and "1 DVD at a time please" plan into two separate plans, forcing customers to pay 6 extra dollars to keep things as they've always been. And America was torn asunder. Forget the national debt crisis that I don't understand: Netflix wants six more dollars of our hard earned cash. Fuck them and their convenient entertainment options!



I'll admit, when I received my notification of plan options and fee changes from Netflix, I was momentarily peeved. Then I remembered without Netflix, I have nothing--I mean, besides DVR, Movies on Demand, every variation of HBO known to man, etc. I've grown accustomed to having movies and television shows at my fingertips. And I like Netflix. You should like Netflix too.



Listen:



1) If you are a fan of anime and you are complaining about the Netflix price hike on Facebook or Twitter or on your tumblr site or wherever, shut your nerdy mouth right now. There are so many quality anime series on Netflix for instant viewing right now it's sick!



2) To the angry people who claim "Netflix doesn't even have any good movies on Instant View," here is a list of just a handful of the quality films in my Netflix Instant Queue right now: Tokyo Gore Police, RoboGeisha, Swamp Thing, Donovan's Brain, Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine, Godzilla's Revenge, Thrashin', Puppet Master, GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Classics all!



3) If you like TV--and who the hell doesn't?--look what Netflix has got for you: Mad Men! The X-Files! Friday Night Lights! Doctor Who! Red Dwarf! Archer! South Park! The League! Need I say more?



C'mon! Hey man, I don't care if you abandon Netflix. I don't get anything out of it either way. I just want people to think about shit before they make a fool of themselves on the internet. Then again, what is the internet for if not foolishness? Anyway, here are some recommendations.



CHECK IT OUT!

Ga-Rei Zero (2008): Technically a prequel to the Ga-Rei manga, Zero tells the story of two supernaturally gifted young girls, Yomi and Kagura, who use their ability to see ghosts, demons, and all manner of spooky creeps, as well as their superior fighting skills, to rid Japan of the evil that does not belong in the natural world. The story is rich, compelling, and, because this is anime, melodramatic. The first episode is worth noting as it seems to have "pissed off" a lot of Netflix users. In the episode, titled "Above Aoi," we are introduced to an elite demon fighting squad sent to the scene of a horrific disturbance. After an epic battle with a Class B demon, the team retires to their base of operations where they are summarily slaughtered by a Class A entity. That's it. We never see these characters again. Their stories are never told. They are dead and the show moves on. I love that, but scores of zitty anime nerds with pizza-flavored Combos on their breath and Mountain Dew stains on their NERV t-shirts felt differently, encouraging fellow Netflix users to skip episode one or the whole series altogether. Whatever, nerds. Ga-Rei Zero is a solid series with a seriously horrendous opening theme song, which for some unexplained reason doesn't show up until Episode 4.



ALSO WORTH CHECKING OUT:



-Any of the
Futurama movies that were released in the last few years, though my favorite is The Beast with a Billion Backs, which features David Cross as a mass of tentacles who asks the entire planet Earth to move in with him.


-That Mitchell and Webb Look is the funniest sketch comedy show I've seen in a long time.


-Nickelodeon has apparently unleashed their animation floodgates all over Netflix. Available as of right this second: Rocko's Modern Life; Rugrats; Hey Arnold!; The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron; AAAHH!!! Real Monsters; and Ren and Stimpy.


-And to those who are still under the mistaken impression that Netflix has NOTHING GOOD available to Watch Instantly, here is proof that you are not only wrong, but probably also have terrible taste in film: The Fighter, Ponyo, Pulp Fiction, Kick Ass, Toy Story 3, Lord of the Rings, Die Hard, Winter's Bone, Trainspotting, Clerks, Being John Malkovich, A Clockwork Orange...do I need to go on?