Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday Morning Music: Trade Martin-"We've Got to Stop the Mosque at Ground Zero"


Everybody's favorite idiotic cause now has an idiotic anthem, complete with poorly-made video, to go with it.

Can we just get clear on a few things, please? Nobody is building a mosque at Ground Zero. From what I've read it's more like a recreation center with a mosque inside. But it's also two blocks away. Have you been to Ground Zero? I have and it is surrounded by lowlifes selling 9/11 trinkets, t-shirts, and post cards. "Yes, I'll take two post cards of a big empty hole, please." Getting rich in the wake of a horrible tragedy--that's offensive. I'm more offended by those American flag infomercials that popped up on TV practically right after the towers fell than I am by an Islamic community center being built two blocks away almost 9 years after 9/11. Gothamist recently showcased some other business establishments that are two blocks away from Ground Zero, including fast food restaurants and a strip club. You wouldn't put a Burger King in your church's vestibule, but it's OK to have a Dunkin' Donuts across the street from the "sacred" site where the Twin Towers once stood? Of course it's OK to a have Dunkin' Donuts there! It's a doughnut place people like! GAH!

I like how Trade Martin points out that he gets the whole "freedom of religion" thing, but then proceeds to whine and moan about that freedom being practiced. And what's he talking about when he calls Ground Zero a "sacred place?" It's the site of one of the worst tragedies in American history, but when you refer to a place as "sacred" and couple this with a whiny anti-mosque building message, it seems to me like another case of the Christians co-opting a national tragedy and making it their very own, turning Ground Zero into a satellite battlefield for Armageddon. Trade Martin, you and your Muslim-hating chums can sing all the goofy, poorly-recorded songs you want, but don't for one second think every American agrees with your narrow-minded, Right Wing Christian bullshit, sir! I'm sure there are thousands of Christians even who think building a Muslim community center in New York City is perfectly fine. It's certainly not threatening the First Baptist Church of Topeka's Support Our Troops bake sale, so who cares?

And how exactly is a mosque "thumbing its nose at every victim and hero?" First, and I don't think I have to tell you this, but mosques don't usually sport noses. Many mosques are built without eyes or working mouths. Several mosques, as well as many churches and synagogues all over the world, are full of assholes however. Second, I'm sure the people who want to build the Muslim community center two blocks from Ground Zero were more interested in the available space and the affordable price. I'm certain that spitting in the face of every fireman, police officer, and 9/11 survivor was not high on their priority list. In fact, I bet if they had an actual, physical list of priorities, mocking 9/11 and its participants, both living and dead, wouldn't appear on it.

But the most offensive thing about "We've Got to Stop the Mosque at Ground Zero" is how horrible it sounds. Did Trade Martin record this thing in a broom closet? More than likely he polished the whole thing off in about 15 minutes, seated in front of his computer, wearing nothing but a stained pair of tighty whities.