
I don't know what it's like where you are, but it already feels like Summer here in GEPland, and that's got me itchin' to listen to some good old Summer fun time rekkids! What makes a GOSFTR? Well, for me classic Summertime albums are relatively short, somewhat energetic, deal with Summertime themes (sex, drugs, rock n roll, holding hands, etc.), and full of wonderful pop songs. Last year's GOSFTR for me was Vampire Weekend's debut LP. There's a for instance for you.
Usually this whole GOSFTR thing happens organically, but this year, in the interest of becoming a more assertive, successful individual, I've decided to
Our first contestant is the debut album (Telekinesis! - out now on Merge Records) of a spry little drummer-fronted band from Seattle called Telekinesis. When you first listen to the albums most popular track "Coast of Carolina", you might think you're listening to a long-lost Death Cab B-side, but then if you thought that it would really just mean you were stupid. If this were a Death Cab song, it'd totally be an A-side. And a hit. Sure, the melodies, vocals, songwriting, and production (courtesy of Chris Walla--duh!) sound eerily Death Cab-y, but they're also eerily exhilarating in that I'm-really-fucking-in-love-with-life kind of way that was missing from the Cab's latest album. And it's a really, really good song, which is really all that matters. We're not keeping score here.
Another standout from this album is "Tokyo," which I think is more representative of the album as a whole both musically and lyrically. This is an album of driving but gentle pop songs about that whole "trying to find my place in this world" cliche thing, but what I think makes the album interesting--and worth listening to--is that no matter how hard they seem to try to be angsty and maladjusted ("I try and keep up, but I know I'm failing"), there's a sense of wide-eyed wonder permeating the album that reminds me of that sense of adventure and newness you feel when you really put yourself out on a limb, like when you go on an ill-advised road trip ("Coast of Carolina" and "Tokyo") or when you first fall in love ("Awkward Kisser"). Or when you talk to people who aren't there ("Imaginary Friend"). You get the idea.
Why it's a contender: The album's short, energetic, and a lot of fun. It reminds me in tone if not in sound of that Vampire Weekend album I liked so much or of the first Rosebuds album.
Where it falls short: It's not as consistent as I'd like, and it's a little sappy, but there aren't any real clunkers, at least not on par with a certain Japandroid song I'll talk about in a few days.
Odds of winning: I'd have to say this is the favorite to win so far, but it's also the album I've spent the most time with that's in the running. There are some strong albums coming up though, so we'll see.