Sunday, March 1, 2009

Things I've Learned From the Internet

#2. Everybody Loves (To Copy) A Winner

Last month we shared with you the YouTube clip titled "Kittens Inspired by Kittens." I believe at the time I called it "the greatest video in the history of the internets." I continue to feel this way and probably will until my violent, blood-soaked death at the hands of super monsters. It's just so cute and weird and addictive. "Kittens Inspired by Kittens" is my heroin. My rock climbing. My hooker strangling, if you will.

Whenever something as perfectly sublime as "Kittens" comes along, there are bound to be countless copycats (all puns intended) riding its coattails to semi-fame. I've being monitoring YouTube since first seeing "Kittens" on The Soup and have successfully sniffed out the following pretenders to the "Kittens" throne. These video wannabes run the gamut from "somewhat amusing" to "pretty bad" to "where do you get off?"

"Kittens Inspired by David After Dentist" is an amusing mash-up of the original "Kittens" clip using audio from the popular "David After Dentist" video (which itself has been mashed-up with audio from American Psycho actor Christian Bale's recent rant on the set of Terminator 4: Rise of the Sequels):

"Cats Inspired by Kittens Inspired by Kittens" is another worthy addition to the growing list of "Kittens" wannabes. This time there is no mash-up, just a gay, Breckin Meyer look-alike making humorous observations with the help of a tome titled "CATS." Highlights include: "We're doing tequila shots"; "I'm blogging"; "I sell oatmeal"; and "APPLES!!!"

"Tila Tequila Inspired by Kittens Inspired by Kittens" is a hit-or-miss mash-up, featuring brand-spanking new footage of fake bisexual has-been Tila Tequila's Newbery Award winning book Hooking Up with Tila Tequila: A Guide to Love, Fame, Hapiness, Success, and Being the Life of Your Own Sad Little Party and audio from the original "Kittens." Some of it totally works ("Brainstorm!") and some of it falls flat on its fake tits ("I want beef jerky!"). Doesn't that book look horrible?

Super lame Christian improv comedy group
Fishes & Loaves try their hand at "Kittens-"style hilarity and fail miserably with "Kittens Inspired by Kittens-----Luchadores." They outright steal Weird Little Blonde Girl's bits, but none of them mesh successfully with the pictures of Mexican wrestlers. Plus, Mexican wrestlers stopped being funny since before the release of Nacho Libre. Fishes & Loaves have definitely booked some time in Purgatory for this waste of space. Also, Fishes & Loaves, hate to break it to you, but no one cares if you've shared a stage with Garrett Morris. Sorry.

This one's called "Chickens Inspired by Chickens." It is terrible.

Our final video, "People Inspired by People," is nothing short of a complete and utter travesty. First of all, the little girl... so not cute. Sorry. I mean, sure, in the pantheon of "cute little girls" she ranks pretty high, but when compared to Weird Little Blonde Girl, she falls way short. Second, she can't possibly write her own material. "Menopause is great?" She doesn't know what the hell menopause is...even I don't know what menopause is (it's got the word "men" in there, so I assume it has something to do with me, right?). Some bitter, unfunny adult wrote these stale, obvious jokes and forced her to say them. That's the only explanation for this piece of shit. She scores minor laughs at the end for "I'm an orphan" followed by gleeful giggles, but poking fun at Jesus, senior citizens, and Hooters Girls is wrong. IT'S WRONG!