Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Most Horrific Thing(s) I've Read This Week

I've never seen an entire episode of TLC's reality freak show My Strange Addiction. I usually watch the first segment, in which we are introduced to that evening's addicts, then I lose interest. I don't stick around for the inevitable attempt at curing these poor, misguided souls. I simply get the main idea and go on with my own strange addiction-free life. The show is roughly 22-minutes long, but I simply cannot justify devoting any more than 5 minutes to it. I think they should cram as many weirdos into an episode as possible, give viewers a few juicy shots of some freakwad cramming scabs into her mouth or obsessively combing his mustache hair or whatever and roll credits. I don't need the backstory. I don't need the quiet interviews with concerned friends. I need my freaky addictions delivered circus side-show tent-style. Pay your 25 cents, ogle some creeps.


During it's 16-episode run, My Strange Addiction has played host to a wide variety of addicts: Kesha, the woman who eats toilet paper for dinner; Debbie, the lady who is severely allergic to cats, but hoards them anyway; Davecat--yes, Davecat--the man married to a sex doll; and Riley, the 25-year-old woman who lives her life as an adult baby. I recently saw an episode (i.e. the first five minutes of an episode) that featured a woman from Brooklyn who is obsessed with taxidermy. She would go on long walks around her neighborhood searching for dead birds and squirrels to take home and stuff. Her cramped apartment was full of dead rats, chipmunks, and pigeons.


Obviously, every addiction featured on the program is, well, pretty strange, but the subject of a recent episode crosses the line from "strange" into "downright horrific" in a big, gross way. Meet Casie:





I hope you watched the entire clip. If you didn't, do it before you read any further. Otherwise you may just think I'm being a dick.



OK. Did you watch to the end? Sick, right? I can't imagine losing my spouse. If I even attempted to imagine it, you'd probably find me in a ball under my desk weeping uncontrollably. I can think of nothing sadder. And who's to say if faced with the same heartbreaking situation, any one of us wouldn't take our loved one's ashes to see Cowboys and Aliens or to Freshberry for frozen yogurt. But I'm fairly certain I would never resort to consuming my dead spouse Lik-M-Aid-style. Isn't that cannibalism kinda? Whatever it is, it's sick and weird and, well, perfect for My Strange Addiction, I guess.



My question: What do human cremains taste like?
According to Casie, "sandpaper, sand and rotten eggs." Nummy!



Additional information: I originally heard about Casie's story on a podcast to which I listen regularly. I turned to Google to collect more information for this article. Turns out, when you type "woman eats" into Google, Google is nice enough to offer a variety of suggestions, one of which being "woman eats baby." Being the curious sort that I am, I pursued the baby eating story and found myself face to face with the 2ND MOST HORRIFIC THING I'VE READ THIS WEEK. Please have your barf bags at the ready, provided you have a stash of barf bags in your home. A regular plastic shopping bag is also acceptable. Those can be puked into. Trust me. I've seen it. I'm serious.



From USATODAY.com:



Police: Woman killed her infant, ate part of brain



San Antonio police say a woman accused of beheading her 3-week-old infant son used a knife and two swords in the attack and ate some of the child's body parts.


Why did it take a knife and TWO SWORDS to decapitate a three-week-old? Two swords!?! Was this a three-week-old dragon? That still sounds pretty excessive.


San Antonio Police Chief William McManus told reporters Monday that Otty Sanchez's attack on her son, Scott Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez, was "too heinous" to fully discuss.


Of course it was "too heinous" to discuss, the woman used TWO SWORDS TO KILL AN INFANT!?! IS SHE INSANE?!?



But he says Sanchez ate part of the newborn's brain and bit off three of his toes before stabbing herself twice.



Police say the 33-year-old Sanchez told officers who were called to her house early Sunday that she killed her son at the devil's request.


Oh, OK, she is insane. Got it.



Sanchez is charged with capital murder and is being held on $1 million bail. She is recovering from her wounds at a hospital.



TWO SWORDS, PEOPLE! TWO SWORDS!!!