Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Night Trailers: The Bad, The Worse, and the Effing Terrible

1. Another Harvest Moon


See the film the Rhode Island Film Festival (!!!) gave 4-stars and called "A powerful emotional story with a twist of humor." Am I dick for laughing at this trailer? At the end when the kid, I assume, offers to put his grandfather down and Ernest Borgnine responds with a dramatic chorus of "no," I can't stop myself from chuckling. Then Raymond's mom pops up and sadly intones, "You silly old fool," and I lose it. Maybe the funniest movie of '11.

2. Bonnie & Clyde vs Dracula


Do you even need to see the trailer to know this is going to be awful? Probably not, but we've provided it anyway. I wonder why this part of the Bonnie and Clyde story was left out of the Arthur Penn classic.

3. Smurfs


Remember the Smurfs? Well, whether you do or do not doesn't seem to matter because the filmmakers behind the Smurfs movie have thrown it all out the window and plopped the little blue pixies in modern day New York City. Who is this movie for anyway? Do kids today even know what Smurfs are? There isn't any kind of Smurfs presence on TV right now, is there? I think NPH says it best in this awful, awful trailer: "Do not be fooled by their cuteness." Mark my words: this movie is going to be terrible. Maybe the worst thing ever, and, yes, I am aware that there are two Alvin and the Chipmunks movies and a third installment of Transformers is set for this summer. I'm serious, if you honestly want to see this film, I think I need to take a long hard look at our friendship and decide if it is worth pursuing.