Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Letter from an Idiot

(from the News & Observer-Tuesday, March 17, 2009-TV Q&A...for real!)

Q: I have been a sci-fi fan for as long as I can remember. I saw the original "War of the Worlds" with Gene Berry and I saw the remake with C. Thomas Howell. In the past few years, I have seen in TV listings a version starring Tom Cruise; every time I see it scheduled, I tune in, and the C. Thomas Howell version comes on. Then I recently saw a newspaper interview in which Dakota Fanning said how much she enjoyed making "The War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruise. Did he really make a version of it? --Bobbie West, Stanton, Calif

A: No, Bobbie, he didn't. It's all a conspiracy to drive you to insanity and Dakota Fanning is in on it.

Of course there's a version of War of the Worlds starring Tom Cruise, you dimwit! What's wrong with you? You had to write a letter to the newspaper to find this out? Just turn on your computer or leave your house sometime. Were you aware we elected a new president? It was a pretty historic moment. You should look into it.

As further proof of the existence of a War of the Worlds featuring Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning, I'm including this picture:
I did not use Photoshop to create this photo, Bobbie. This is an honest to goodness still from Steven Spielberg's film, which was a box office hit, by the way. Were you in a coma during the summer of 2005? Geez!

You know, Bobbie, you're worse than those morons who call into the Allan Handelman Show when his guest is the TVShowsOnDVD.com guy. People actually call to ask this guy if and when their favorite TV shows are coming out on DVD. This dude then goes to his Web site, performs a quick search, and passes the information on to the caller. I'm serious, Bobbie. The phone lines are jammed when this guy is on the show! Rather than sit down at their home computer and do the five second research themselves, people call a talk show to have someone else do it for them. WTF?!

In conclusion, while it may be difficult to obtain a copy of Spielberg's War of the Worlds if your town doesn't have a Blockbuster Video, Best Buy, Wal-mart, Target, K-mart, internet access, or a Chinese guy selling bootlegs on a street corner, if you can get your hands on one, I think you'll really like it seeing as you've been a sci-fi fan for so long and all. Hope this helps.

Idiot.