Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Bloody Sunday: Sally Forth into Candorville!

Today I learned the story behind Sally and Ted Forth's epic meet cute:

Wow. So, that's how it happened.

I guess Sally Forth fans can look forward to a week of What If Sally and Ted Never Met stories. That's ludicrous. Not the "what-if" concept, but my suggestion that there are fans of Sally Forth. You know what would have happened if Sally and Ted never met? Their smart-mouthed daughter never would've been born. More importantly, there never would've been a Sally Forth comic strip. By the way, this pile of shit is on the front page of the News & Observer's Sunday comics page.

And in this morning's installment of Candorville, African-American hipster, Candorville (that's the guy's name, right?), overhears two bums having a conversation:

Blonde Bum: I resolve never to steal a coworker's ideas again.
Brunette Bum: THAT'S WHAT I JUST SAID!

If you want to read this strip on a purely surface level, this is simply a dumb, old joke. But Darren Bell, the brains behind Candorville--the comic strip and the hipster of the same name (right?)--is never working on a surface level. At least, I don't think he is. I've never read a Candorville that a) made me laugh or b) didn't make me groan. It's not a very good comic. I mean, if you like it, good for you or whatever, but I need social commentary on the front page of my Sunday Funnies like I need to know what the world would look like if Sally Forth and her dumb husband never met.

Both of these strips are on the front page of my local paper's Sunday comic's page. Why? In fact, dig this News & Observer Sunday comic's front page line-up:

--Dilbert: Tired, hacky jokes about office life that were barely funny ten years ago. "Dilbert's boss is dumb and hard to get along with! Hyuk!"
--Sally Forth: Blech. The only thing worse is Marmaduke.
--Marmaduke: Really, News & Observer? Marmaduke and Sally Forth on the same page? Do you hate joy that much?
--Red and Rover: There is a certain sweetness to this strip about a boy and his dog, but it isn't particularly fun. I best thing I can say about Red and Rover is that it is largely inoffensive.
--Candorville: Ugh.
--Mutts: Now this one I like! The front page should be one big Mutts.

Anyway, I know Bell is trying to say something with this thing, but I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm too dumb. Let me know what you think in the comments.