I don't go to parties--mostly because I'm not invited to any--but I wouldn't mind hanging out for a bit at the scuzzy, whacked-out soiree featured in the video for Lady GaGa's infectious single "Just Dance." A weird old lady wearing novelty New Years eyeglass from 2006. A chick in a full Indian headdress. A shirtless, musclebound high school mascot chilling out in the bathtub. Spaghetti-and-meatballs served Lady and the Tramp-style. And was that Mr. Echo? This party's got everything!
62. "Polite Dance Song" (The Bird and The Bee)
"Polite Dance Song's" lyrics go from polite to crass fairly quickly, but the lilting beauty of Inara George's voice keeps things from getting too smutty. It's a catchy little pop song brimming with goofy sexuality, made all the goofier by the Eric Wareheim-directed music video, which depicts the most surreal dance contest ever captured on film.
Favorite line: "Pardon me, for losing my cooling..."
63. "I'd Rather Dance With You" (Kings of Convenience)
A delightful kiss off. Or is it? I can't decide if the singer feels intimidated by the woman with whom he's ask to dance, choosing to hit the dance floor rather than discuss literature or film (after all, he hasn't read a book in the past year and the only film he saw, well, he "didn't like it at all") or if he assumes the woman won't know anything about books or movies, so rather than spend the evening locked in abysmal conversation, whisks her to the other room where dancing is apparently occurring. Either way it is another delightful tune from Norway's foremost indie-folkists.
64. "Dancefloor" (The Legends)
I don't know if this song is actually about the physical act of dancing, but it sure as hell makes me want to get up and move around like a maniac.