Yet another song about a broken relationship on the list. You must think I spend my days wallowing in misery. In this song--my favorite by Belle & Sebastian--there is just enough snark and smirk to turn what could've been the typical "woe is me" proceedings into something both sarcastic and wistful at the same time.
80. "Title and Registration" (Death Cab for Cutie)
Let's keep wallowing, shall we?
Simply put, "Title and Registration" is one of my very favorite songs by one of my very favorite bands. If you've ever had your heart broken into a million pieces and your car does, in fact, have a glove compartment in it, this song is for you.
81. "Leave (Get Out)" (JoJo)
I swear, everything is fine, I just prefer break-up songs to love songs. This predilection for songs about broken relationships and bitter regret has not always served me well. When my wife and I were dating, I made her a series of "mix CDs," collections of songs I was listening to at the time that I thought she might enjoy. The first disc was fairly innocuous. There were no hidden meanings behind the songs, they were just, you know, songs. On disc 2, however, I decided to show my hand, at least, a little bit. I included songs like Imogen Heap's "Goodnight and Go" (#10) and Beulah's "A Good Man is Easy to Kill," which contains the lines "...give up, give up your love...I promise it's not gonna kill ya...and I need ya, Lord, I need ya." Actually, that's not very subtle, is it? But it also included the songs "Nothing Better" (#18) by Postal Service and Cat Power's "Good Woman." After we were married, my wife confessed that CD #2 had filled her with confusion. I promptly apologized.
When I heard JoJo's "Leave (Get Out)" for the first time on Top 40 radio way back in 2004, I thought, "This is a woman who knows about heart break, man! She's been there! She gets it and she's not going to take some dude's bullshit anymore." Then I found out she was 13-years-old and it creeped me out a little. Anyway, it's a catchy-as-hell pop puffball and I like it. Give it a listen and get in touch with that heartbroken middle school girl we all have inside.
Oh, shit! Did I miss Fox's Ferocious Fight Night?
82. "Praise You" (Fatboy Slim)
Great song. Great Spike Jonze-directed video. Great job.