Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday Night Trailers: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

The Good: The Town

The "acclaimed director of Gone Baby Gone" is Ben Affleck, right? That aside, holy crap in a bag do I want to see this movie! I'd never even heard of it until tonight and now I've got my wife packing up the camping supplies so's we can be first in line when tickets go on sale.

OK, not really, but the cast is great, the look of the film is both gritty and beautiful--a combination of which I am quite fond--and, who knows, this could be a return to form for Ben Affleck the actor. Plus, ever since The Dark Knight, I've desired more movies about well-planned bank robberies perpetrated by dudes in creepy costumes, and The Town looks to have an assload of 'em. I'll be there for sure, Mr. Affleck.

The Bad: Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole

This isn't real, right? It can't be. Listen, I'm as sick to death of talking cat and dog movies as everyone else, but is owl really the next logical step? Here is a quick list of animals I'd rather watch take on a mystical quest of self-discovery before owls: whales, squirrels, bottle-nosed dolphins, a swarm of tsetse flies, miniature ponies, hammerhead sharks, jackalopes, armadillos, algae.
But, fine, here they are, owls. And apparently the live in a world comprised of nothing but owls. British owls, Australian owls, American owls, but owls nonetheless. This is a feature-length motion picture about owls! Are you getting this? I know this is the second Sunday Night Trailers in a row where our "Bad" offering is an animated film for children, but, c'mon, don't our children deserve better than owls? I think they do. Who will stand with me?

The Ugly: Valhalla Rising

This shit just looks all kinds of brutal and cool, like a way less completely terrible 300. Let's go see it and cringe together. What do you say?