Friday, February 20, 2009

Oscar Mania 2009: Part II: Place Your Bets Gentlemen and Ladies! Go For Win!

Welcome to night two of Giant Electric Penguin's exclusive look at this year's Oscar winners two days early.  What other blog can do that, huh?  That's right--no other blog, only us!  How do we do it, you ask?  No, we don't own some sort of time travel device or frequently communicate with a practitioner of the so-called "dark arts."  We at GEP have a vast knowledge of movies, award shows, and statuettes and we think that gives us the inside edge when it comes to predicting the winners at an event like the Oscars.  That being said, let's get this party started quickly, right?

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

AND THE WINNER IS...
I've never read Q & A, the book Slumdog is based upon, but I did buy it for my sister for her birthday and I can't say enough good things.  It was affordable, that's the first thing I noticed.  It had a sturdy cover.  The photo on the front cover was awfully charming as I recall.  There were some positive blurbs peppered here and there on the back and inside cover.  Overall I was happy with my purchase.  And it sure was easy to find at my local booksellery.  I just typed the title into a friendly computer and...BAM...there it was!  What will Borders think of next?  

As for the other nominees: Doubt is based on a text-less pop-up book for preschoolers, so that counts it out. The Reader is apparently about an illiterate, frequently nude, Nazi war criminal which seems like the kind of thing the Academy likes, so it could pull out the win. Frost/Nixon, based on a little read F. Scott Fitzgerald novella, had too many typos for my taste. And the less said about The Curious Case of Forrest Gump the better.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Frozen River
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Milk
Wall-e

AND THE WINNER IS...
I've heard good things.  Plus, I can't think of anyone I'd rather hear read a script than Colin Farrell.  His Irish brogue makes me wetter than a rained out church picnic.

As for Wall-e: I came up with the idea for Pixar's Wall-e when I was in fourth grade.  Somehow they entered my dreams and extracted the idea while I was sleeping, but since I can't prove it, I've kept quiet all these months.  Oh, well, I probably never woulda done nothing with the idea any-how.  Shucks! 

As for the other nominees: Never heard of 'em.

BEST SONG
"Down to Earth" -Wall-e
"Jai Ho" - Slumdog Millionaire
"O Saya" -Slumdog Millionaire

AND THE WINNER IS...
More specifically "O Saya."  I just asked myself, "Which of these songs features M.I.A?" and went with that one.  The other two songs are fine.  If I'm still awake by the time this award is given out Sunday night I will be all kinds of surprised.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Wall-e
Kung Fu Blah Blah Blah
Blah Blah Blah Blah

AND THE WINNER IS...
Wall-e was basically the best fucking movie ever, so if it doesn't win I'll eat my cat.  I mean hat.  I'll eat my hat.

TOMORROW: BEST DIRECTOR, BEST SOUND EDITING, MOST FLAVORFUL POPCORN, MOST HELPFUL RETARDED TICKET RIPPER, AND BEST FILM OF THE YEAR!!!  BE THERE.  BE HERE.