Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday Bloody Sunday: Stay of Execution?


As if you needed any more evidence that the current situation in North Carolina is totally fucked, take a look at this letter from the front page of the News & Observer's Arts & Living section today:

Dear readers,

By a margin of almost 2-to-1, you have voted to keep Prince Valiant as a cornerstone of our Sunday comics section.  Final votes were 1,817 to keep and 968 to drop.  This should do it for comics voting for awhile.  We hope to develop an online process to seek your thoughts on our entire lineup, including additions and deletions.  We'll keep you posted.  Thanks to all who emailed, called and wrote us about the prince and other comic changes.

PS: We have restored Lifetime Movie Network to our TV listings and added the History Channel.  Happy watching.

What kind of voter turn out is that?  This does not bode well for the much more important vote coming up on May 8.  I feel like I've done my part in helping defeat Amendment One, but while I was doing so, this Prince Valiant thing slipped through my fingers.  I even read the original call for votes several weeks ago.  This feels like my fault somehow.  I'm ashamed.

You win this time, all 1,817 of you who allegedly read Prince Valiant each and every Sunday  (cough-cough-bullshit-cough-cough!), but I swear, the next time the N & O proposes a vote to oust Valiant or any other comic strip that has long since worn out its welcome (I'm looking at you, Zits!), I will be there to take you down.  Count on it.

*       *      *

And speaking of worn out welcomes, I've been sitting on this one for a week.  I've written many times about my dislike for B.C. and the confusion that comes with reading it, so much so, that I originally didn't want to say anything about this one.  It ate away at me all week however, and now the only thing I can do to unburden myself of the torment it has caused me is to share it with all of you.  So, here:



They are cavemen!  Living long before the time of Christ!  How the hell do they know who Robin Williams is?!?  Explain it to me!

Here's this week's B.C. too, for your vomiting pleasure:


I'm not even going to dignify this one with a snarky remark.