Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday Night Trailers: The Good, The Bad, and the Intriguing

The Good: The Green Hornet

Let's face it: the 2010 summer movie season has largely been a dud. Sure, Hollywood kicked things off with Iron Man 2 and we've got Scott Pilgrim vs. The World to look forward to at summer's end, but look at all the garbage we have to endure between these few gems: The A-Team, a Karate Kid reboot, a fourth boring entry in the Shrek saga, Grown Ups, and yet another sparkly Mormon vampire movie! We don't even get a Harry Potter this summer! What the hell?
Looks like January is gonna make it all better. I mean, c'mon: a newly svelte Seth Rogen as the Green Hornet, Christoph Waltz as the heavy, and Michel Gondry in the director's seat? Is there any reason I shouldn't be bouncing off the walls with excitement?

The Bad: Tangled

Last time I was at Disney World, I happened upon a poster for the upcoming feature film Rapunzel. Now, I'm a fan of the Rapunzel story. It's weird, dark, and scary, in essence, everything a good Grimm Brother's fairy tale should be.
Well, Rapunzel has become this piece of shit, Tangled. In this version, Rapunzel can apparently control her hair Dr. Octopus-style, which leads to all kinds of mischief that the man sitting behind me at the movie theater yesterday afternoon found chuckle-worthy. You've watched the trailer. Tell me what is funny about it. Really. I have no idea why anyone would pay money to see this.
(Note: I had the misfortune of having to sit through this horrible dreck whilst waiting for Toy Story 3 to start. Toy Story 3, if you care to know, is not only wonderful, but it has the distinction of being the best film of 2010 thus far. Once again, Pixar shames its Disney bosses. Dammit, Tangled just makes me angry!)

The Intriguing: FrICTION

I've watched the trailer for FrICTION a few times now and it makes my head ache. I can't figure out what the hell is going on...and I like it!